Chapter II – Principles for the keeping of pet animals
Article 3 – Basic principles for animal welfare
- Nobody shall cause a pet animal unnecessary pain, suffering or distress.
- Nobody shall abandon a pet animal.
Article 4 – Keeping
- Any person who keeps a pet animal or who has agreed to look after it, shall be responsible for its health and welfare.
- Any person who is keeping a pet animal or who is looking after it shall provide accommodation, care and attention which take account of the ethological needs of the animal in accordance with its species and breed, in particular:
- give it suitable and sufficient food and water;
- provide it with adequate opportunities for exercise;
- take all reasonable measures to prevent its escape;
- An animal shall not be kept as a pet animal if:
- the conditions of paragraph 2 above are not met or if,
- in spite of these conditions being met, the animal cannot adapt itself to captivity.
Celotno besedilo: http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en/Treaties/Html/125.htm